Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Physical activity on the airplane?

How do the previous blogs fit into everyday situations? I am on a 4 hour plane ride to San Jose to talk about breast cancer pvention with Evista. I am reading Instant Recess by Toni Yancey and learning alot.

One of h stated objects in the book is to make physical activity enjoyable: to make physical activity part of our social, work, office, home life. Exercise is enjoyable for some, but not for all. Anything is better than being sedentary. We've seen the data in previous blogs, on the news, in her book, etc. Well, how 'bout on a long plane ride: a practical application?

The pilot made me say that I keep my seat belt loosely fastened when in my seat, but 4 hours? We are just beginning our fourth. I get up at least every hour and walk the aisle, stretch, do heel-to-toes 'till they tell me to sit. I flex in the seat, lift my legs, straighten then bend, do leg lifts, hold what I'm reading in different positions. Boy I'm fun to sit next to! I practice what I preach, not just go the gym, but move! You've heard of the nonsmoking flight? How about the non sedentary lifestyle?

One of the ways to prevent chronic disease and cancer is physical activity. So let's all get
moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment