Monday, April 23, 2012

Closing thoughts from ASBD Meeting.

The recent American Society of Breast Disease in Dallas was well attended and was a good source for information and confirmation of screening and prevention practices.  I have blogged about much of the content from the meeting, but would summarize a few points below.


Whole breast ultrasound dose find more cancers when added to routine mammography, particularly in women with dense breast tissue.


MRI is a good adjuvant screen to mammography and ultrasound, particularly in very high risk situations like BRCA 1 or 2 carriers.


Mammograms DO save lives!  (Seems like I don't need to say it but I see the news misreport findings or report on studies too short to show the benefits.)


Many are looking for the way to personalize risk assessment.  The best available today is the BREVAGen Breast Cancer RIsk Assessment Tool.  




Finally, we all need to heed to the call for prevention.






Together we can prevent 75,000 breast cancer cases each year!



1 comment:

  1. I just had my mammogram and had to bed to have the whole breast ultrasound as it was "suggested if needed". I suggested that since locally I have not had an ultrasound since leaving the care of the great Dr. Winsett that this was not an option and immediately called my local doctor. Come to find out that no one read HIS orders!
    I am happy to report that all is well. Still why should such a great procedure not be routine?

    ReplyDelete